Homily for Mission Appeal - 23rd Sunday of Ordinary Time Year A
It is a great joy
to be back with you. Some of you may remember me from my previous visits here. Thank
you for welcoming me again, and especially thank you for your generosity and
prayers for the Church in Uganda.
Today, however, I would like to speak less
about the needs of Uganda and more about the theme of today's readings. This
theme can be summarized very well by a question we hear in the Book of
Genesis. After Cain has killed his
brother Abel, God asks him, “Where is your brother Abel?” Of course, Cain knows
where his brother is; he has killed him.
But Cain responds with that famous question: “Am I my brother’s keeper?”
Today's readings give a very clear answer
to this question: Yes, you are your
brother's keeper.
Scripture and Theology
In the first reading, God appoints Ezekiel
as a watchman for the house of Israel. A watchman has a particular
responsibility. He sees what is happening, and if he sees danger coming, he
must warn the people.
Unlike Cain in Genesis, the watchman cannot
simply say, “That's not my problem.” He cannot say, “I am not my brother's
keeper.” The Lord has entrusted him with a responsibility for the people.
This too is our responsibility as
Christians. We cannot simply say, “People have their own lives; let them do
whatever they want.” Sometimes love requires us to speak. Sometimes a parent
has to correct a child. Sometimes a friend has to warn a friend. Sometimes the
Church has to call us back when we have gone astray. Of course, none of us
particularly enjoys being corrected. We usually think correction is a wonderful
virtue, especially when someone else needs it.
That is what Jesus is talking about in
today's Gospel. He tells us that if our brother sins, we should not simply walk
away. We should go to him. We should speak to him privately. Notice the words
Jesus uses: “If he listens to you, you have won over your brother.” The goal is
not to defeat him. The goal is not to prove that we are right. And sometimes
that is the hardest part. We may be more interested in winning the argument
than in winning our brother! The goal is
to win our brother. Why? Because he is our brother. Because she is our sister.
Jesus goes on to give further steps for
bringing someone back when the first attempt fails. But notice that every step
has the same purpose: to care for the soul of our brother who has gone astray
and to win them back to the community.
If I am my brother's keeper when his soul
is in danger, then surely I am also his keeper when his body is suffering. That is why, in many places in the Gospels,
Jesus does not simply call people to repentance. He also feeds them, heals them,
and restores them to a full life. And he asks his followers to do exactly the
same thing. That is why, at the Last Judgment, Jesus identifies our treatment
of the hungry, the thirsty, the sick, and the needy as a test of our love for
him.
The reason the readings challenge us in
this way, to care for both the souls and bodies of our brothers and sisters, is
because we are not simply a collection of individuals who happen to worship in
the same building. We are a family. We are on a journey together. We are
brothers and sisters in Christ. That is why Jesus ends today's passage with
those beautiful words: “Where two or three are gathered together in my name,
there am I in the midst of them.”
Christian Life
For the last two years, you parishioners
have been watchmen and keepers of your brothers and sisters, both here in your
own community and in Uganda. Your financial and prayerful support has helped
ensure that the Gospel is preached and that some of the material needs of our
people are met. In other words, you have helped the Church in Uganda care for
both their souls and bodies.
Let me share two examples—one spiritual and
one material.
One of the things the Gospel does is
challenge us to conversion. Sometimes the Gospel even challenges whole cultures
to change some of their ways. Priests in
Uganda have to preach about some of our family problems: polygamy, domestic
abuse, teenage pregnancy, and the neglect of children, especially the girl
child.
Like Jesus tells us in today's Gospel, I
recently had to speak to a father who was refusing to send his daughters to
school simply because they were girls. His argument was, “They are going to get
married. Why bother?”
I said to him, “What is wrong with them
getting an education and then getting married? Why not have both?” I then reminded
him of the inherent dignity of every human being. I reminded him of the example
of Jesus, who treated women with dignity. I spoke to him about Mary Magdalene,
whom the Lord entrusted with the first announcement of his Resurrection to the
apostles. I reminded him of the role of the Blessed Mother in our salvation.
And I shared with him the many women saints in the Church who have been
witnesses to the Gospel.
That is what it means to be a watchman.
Sometimes being our brother's keeper means having the courage to say, “What you
are doing is wrong,” but saying it because we want something better for that
person and for those entrusted to him.
I was happy to learn recently that his
girls are now in our Catholic school.
And you were part of that story. Through your support of the Church's
mission, you help make possible the schools through which those girls are now
being educated.
And then there was the mother I met whose
daughter had been sick for several days. She did not have the money to take her
to the clinic.
I told her to take the girl and tell the
sisters that I would pay the bill, thanks to a gift someone had given me. The
sisters examined the girl and found several very treatable problems. The total
bill for her treatment came to about $30.
Thirty dollars was enough to get that
little girl the medical care she needed.
Through your help, I was able to be a keeper for that mother and her
daughter.
In one case, being our brother's keeper
meant speaking the truth to help someone change. In the other, it meant helping
someone who was sick and could not help herself. In both cases, your generosity
allowed me to be there, to be a watchman, to be my brother’s keeper.
Conclusion
Brothers and sisters, as we make our
journey to heaven, we need to save not just ourselves, but to help one another
along the way. What if you and I arrive
there alone and the Lord asks us, “Where is your brother? Where is your
sister?” I hope we shall not respond like Cain and say, “Please let me into
heaven; you can worry about the others later.”
But you here have already answered that
question by your generosity and your prayers. You can tell the Lord, “My
brothers and sisters are coming from a long way, Uganda, but they will soon be
here.”
So I thank you, not only for what you may
give today, but for what you have already given in the past. May God bless you, your families, this
parish, and all our brothers and sisters in Uganda. And may we all one day arrive together at the
house of our Father.
No comments:
Post a Comment